#FarewellObama


By Priscilla Wagner, 1/10/2017

"Our democracy...needs you. Not just when there’s an election...but over the full span of a lifetime."
-- President Obama

In October 2012, I got the call that every organizer dreams about. I was offered the chance to hop on a plane with my campaign team, fly to rural Colorado, and work on President Obama's re-election. It was a campaign, a candidate, and a message I believed in....YES WE CAN. I was a wide-eyed idealist, drunk on hopes and dreams of change and progress.

We have made a lot of progress in the last eight years. I, for one, am proud of the policies President Obama put forward and the things we accomplished under his Presidency. While the last few months have been disheartening to say the least, I am still that wide-eyed idealist deep inside. President Obama will be sorely missed, but his legacy, our progress, and his message will live on. I have to believe that we can still make change, and we can still come together as a country. I have to believe that deep down, we as citizens want many of the same things, and ultimately will decide to work together to have policies we are proud of as a country.

Even though Obama's time as our President is coming to an end, our work as a country feels like it is just beginning. Our role as citizens needs to be bigger, it HAS to be bigger. Like President Obama said, it is time to lace up our shoes and get to work.

"If something needs fixing, lace up your shoes and organize."
-- President Obama

#FarewellObama

Check out more of Priscilla's work on her personal blog: PolitickingPriscilla.weebly.com.